MIST E-R laboratory utilizes both its own instrumentation as well as large-scale equipment that members, in particular the CNR, make available, in various ways, for the activities of the AMBIMAT Technopole and the High Technology Network.
AMBIMAT is equipped with a wide range of facilities with the ability to position itself on the national scene as state-of-the-art facilities, capable of combining research and innovation with the development of products ready for technology transfer to companies.
The equipment supports the design and simulation phases (CAD software and computation machines), manufacturing (two clean rooms with the entire production chain for micro and nano devices) and characterization (electronic, optical and MEMS measurement laboratories)
- Clean Room for Sensors and Microsystems
- Clean Room for Organic Electronics
- Clean Room for the Growth of Thin Films
- NMR Laboratory
- XPS Laboratory
- Prototyping Laboratory
- Optics Laboratory
- Microfluidics Laboratory
- Ultrafast Laser Spectroscopy Laboratory
- Design and Synthesis Laboratory of Functional Organic-Based Materials
- BIOMED Laboratory
- Structural Characterization Laboratory
- Bidimensional Systems Laboratory
- Ion Implantation Laboratory
- Electric and Functional Characterization Laboratory
MIST E-R has access to the Clean Room for Sensors and Microsystems of the Institute for Microelectronics and Microsystems (IMM) Bologna.
The IMM Institute of Bologna has the largest public facility in Italy for the micro and nano manufacture of silicon devices and other materials; it consists of 500 m2 of Clean Room of which 250 m2 of class 100 and 250 m2 of class 1000 and 100000.
In the cleanroom there are available all the main technologies necessary for the production of MEMS (Micro-Electro-Mechanical-System), NEMS (Nano-Electro-Mechanical-System) and MOEMS (Micro-Optical-Electro-Mechanical-System).
The Clean Room has:
- Equipment for coating substrates up to 4″ with photoresists and other products that can be deposited for spinning.
- Nano lithography systems FIB / EBL Zeiss / Raith of CROSSBEAM 340 model.
- Microwave oxygen plasma for cleaning samples from organic residues such as photoresist.
- Lithographic contact systems for the transfer of micrometric patterns on 4″ substrates.
- Compatible RIE C-MOS coupling systems for dielectrics and silicon, RIE compatible with metals and silicon and D-RIE for Silicon and Silicon oxide.
- Nikon optical microscope and related software for image capture and manipulation.
- Wafer Bonding System.
- High vacuum sputtering systems for the deposition of thin metallic and non-thin films.
- Electronic beam evaporator that allows the deposition of thin films even on multiple substrates at the same time thanks to the presence of a planetary clamping system.
- Ovens for high temperature treatment.
- Polycrystalline silicon LPCVD deposition systems, Si3N4, LTO and TEOS.
MIST E-R has access to the Bologna ISMN Clean Room dedicated to the development of hybrid and flexible organic electronics over a large area. The cleanroom covers an area of 80 m2 and is divided into two areas. The ISO6 zone is equipped with everything needed for the cleaning and patterning procedures of the substrates used in the manufacture of optoelectronic devices. In particular:
- Slot-die coating
- Mask-aligner to perform lithographic processes.
In the ISO7 zone organic and hybrid devices are manufactured and characterized. There is a 10 meters-long glove-box with controlled atmosphere, divided into two modules:
- One dedicated to the manufacture of photovoltaic cellswith a spin-coater and an evaporator directly connected to the glove box. In addition, there is a solar simulator for the characterization of photoactive devices.
- The second is dedicated to the manufacture of optoelectronic devices such as OLED and OLET. It is connected to the thin film deposition system, to the EFD system, to UVA Press and to a probe-stationfor the characterization of the devices. Furthermore, accelerated aging measures can be performed using a humidostatic chamber.
This structure is designed to conduct experiments in a controlled environment, where the content of micro particles of suspended dust is less than 10 000 per m3.
The laboratory is used for the manufacture of optoelectronic devices in thin organic films such as OLED and OPV of small (<1 cm2) and medium (<10 cm2) size.
The cleanroom contains 3 evaporators Edwards Auto 306 E-beam Evaporator including one with a DC Magnetron Suttering. There are also a spin-coater, a laminar flow hood and a UVO-Cleaner for the treatment of substrates.
The Agilent DD2 NMR System 500 MHz nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometer is a tool that allows to perform both conformational and configurational studies of molecules of interest. NMR studies can be performed at different temperatures, in the range from -80° to 130° C. Through the NMR technique it is possible to study: interactions between molecules in space, ligand – receptor interactions, measures of relaxometric parameters and diffusion coefficients.
Moreover, it is possible to quantify the analytes present in matrices, even very complex ones. Such studies can be performed on samples in solution, solid and semi-solid of small organic molecules, on tissues and biological samples, on emulsions, foods, seeds, organic and inorganic materials (nanostructured or not), polymers, complex matrices.
The system allows quantitative and non-destructive compositional analysis of industrial samples such as coating and thin films by means of X-ray photoemission electron spectroscopy (XPS).
In particular, the surface mapping with a resolution of 100 μm was developed for the control of samples with dimensions up to 10 cm 2.
It is also possible to check the cleaning and order status of the surface by means of electron diffraction measurements (LEED).
The instrumentation also includes an STM microscope.
MIST E-R owns a laboratory for the development of prototypes equipped with the Solidworks CAD platform, a small mechanical workshop and a Ultimaker 3 Extended 3D printer.
Such equipment allows the design and construction of entire mechanical prototypes.
MIST E-R owns an optical laboratory equipped with a multi-purpose optical bench for the characterization of optical devices with leak measurement and Near Field.
The Near-Field system for modal characterization of integrated waveguides is currently limited in the 400 nm-1100 nm band from the used CCD sensor. However, the optics allow to operate also in the NIR-MIR, if you acquire a suitable camera.
It is also possible, through the Elliot Scientific nanometric manipulator system and through stereo microscope vision, the pig-tailing of the devices or the fiber / chip alignment.
We have multiple laser sources to allow alignment in different regions of the spectrum and a “high precision fiber cleaner” for the preparation of fiber surfaces.
Finally, through various spectrometers, it is possible to characterize different liquid and thin film substances in the spectral regions ranging from UV to MIR.
The laboratory is mainly used for the manufacture of transparent polymer microfluidic devices (PDMS) and their rapid prototyping.
There following equipment is available:
- Chemical hood for general uses
- Spin coaterpositioned inside the aforementioned chemical hood
- Muffle: works both in the oven (up to 200° C) and in the vacuum chamber (low vacuum), useful for cooking and drying.
- Plasma cleanerfor surface activation (polymers and glass mainly)
- Stereo Microscope
MIST E-R has access to the Ultra-Fast laser spectroscopy laboratory equipped with SOLSTICE-F-1K-230V femtosecond laser instrumentation complete with TOPAS Prime Newport Spectra Physics Parametric Amplifier and Hamamastsu Synchroscan streak camera for resolved luminescence measurements.
The femtosecond laser is used as an excitation source for the identification and characterization of transient species with life times in the fs – ns range. The streak system allows the measurement of luminescence of materials in solution or in solid state with ultrashort temporal resolution (<1 ps).
MIST E-R has access to the Organic Chemistry Laboratory at ISOF. This laboratory is equipped to perform procedures of organic synthesis of molecular, macromolecular and hybrid systems. The laboratory is equipped with instrumentation suitable for both conventional organic synthesis (ambient atmosphere, controlled atmosphere and vacuum) and unconventional (microwave assisted synthesis).
The laboratory also has a microwave synthesizer able to perform chemical reactions under microwave radiation in an ambient and controlled atmosphere, with the ability to operate at a maximum temperature of 300° C, and also equipped with an internal magnetic stirrer.
MIST E-R has access to the BIOMED research laboratories which are located at the ISMN and the ISOF of Bologna.
The research activities concern the development of functional and biomimetic materials and the realization of biodiagnostic devices. The laboratories are equipped with tools for the evaluation of molecular and functional aspects both high throughput and single cell in vitro.
The skills that the laboratory has developed over the years make it possible to: manipulate primary cellular preparations and secondary cell lines, perform vitality and cell biocompatibility tests, perform molecular studies and gene expression ( PT, PCR, Elisa, WB), perform functional studies of membrane proteins ( Calcium Imaging, Patch Clamp and extracellular recording through MEA).
With this in mind, the BIOMED laboratory includes facilities for cell cultures, cell physiology and molecular biology combined with facilities for the characterization of biomaterials and biodiagnostic devices.
MIST E-R has access to the Structural characterization laboratories of the IMM in Bologna. The laboratories are equipped with:
- SmartLab Rigaku diffractometer with multifunctional rotating anode (9KW) dedicated to the structural characterization of thin films, bulk materials, powders and nano-structured materials. It can perform X-ray scattering measurements in a wide angular range (WAXS and SAXS), with different diffraction plans (In Plane, IP, Out of plane, OP) of the sample. The available optical elements also allow measurements with a high angular resolution, necessary for the characterization of high crystallinity materials.
- Electronic Scanning Microscope (SEM) ZeissLEO 1530 equipped with GEMINI IR electronic column that guarantees excellent brightness and high current of the electronic beam. The microscope is used in the morphological and analytical characterization of materials and in electrical measurements on electronic devices with sub-micrometric dimensions. The instrument is also equipped with an EDS spectrometer that allows compositional analyzes on a sub-micrometer scale.
- Electronic Transmission Electron Microscope (TEM) FEITECNAI F20 used to characterize the microstructure of very high spatial resolution materials. Combining high resolution image techniques with electronic diffraction, it is possible to obtain information on the crystalline structure and analyze the defects present with spatial resolution at the nanometric level.
MIST E-R has access to the laboratory located at ISOF and used for the synthesis, functionalization and processing of new two-dimensional materials such as graphene and boron nitride. The synthesis techniques used (sonication – grinding – homogenization) are easily scalable from an industrial point of view. In addition to the synthesis, the laboratory is also equipped with specific equipment for the characterization of the materials made. The analytical techniques used are: probe microscopy, laser granulometry, surface area and electrical measurement. Furthermore, in the laboratory it is possible to make polymer composites with graphene and other 2D materials both as thin films and in bulk.
Specifically, the instrumentation includes:
- Retsch PM100 mill,
- Saturn DigiSizer II 5205 Laser Granulometer,
- ASAP 2020N automatic physisorption analyzer,
- AFM NTEGRA Aura,
- Coatmaster Erichsen 510,
- Chemical hood,
- Glove box
MIST E-R manages the IMM implantation laboratory of the IMM . The laboratory is equipped with a HV Tandetron 4117HC HV Accelerator from High Voltage Engineering Europe BV installed in 1993.
The machine, through a Sputter 860 source, can produce ion beams from solid phase materials (the main ions produced are: H, B, C, N, O, F, Al, Si, P, Cl, Ti, Cu, As and Au) accelerated by a central terminal that can generate a maximum voltage of 1.7 MV. The ion beams can be addressed in three different channels:
- Channel for ion implantation (useful for semiconductor doping or for the alteration of the lattice of crystals) ending in a sample chamber for wafers up to 4 “in diameter, which can be heated (Tmax = 600 ° C over 4” and Tmax = 900 ° C on 1 “) or cooled thanks to a dewar with water and ice or liquid nitrogen.
- Rutherford Backscattering Spectrometry (RBS) analysis channel, also in channeling condition (useful for the study of the composition of thin films and of the reticular defects in the crystals).
- Channel for various tests.
MIST E-R has access to the Laboratory of electrical and functional characterization of the IMM of Bologna.
The laboratory is equipped with a probe-station of the Micromanipulator for the parametric characterization of electronic, electromechanical and / or semiconductor devices (IV, CV, doping profiles, etc).
The probe station has thermo-chuck from 4″ adjustable temperature in the range from room temperature up to 300° C.
- Clean Room per sensori e microsistemi
- Clean Room per elettronica organica
- Clean Room per la crescita di film sottili
- Laboratorio NMR
- Laboratorio Spettroscopia Laser Ultraveloce
- Laboratorio BIOMED
- Laboratorio di Microfluidica
- Laboratorio di Ottica
- Laboratorio di caratterizzazione elettrica e funzionale
- Laboratorio di design e sintesi di materiali funzionali a base organica
- Laboratorio Sistemi Bidimensionali-Laboratorio XPS
- Laboratorio di Impiantazione Ionica
- Laboratorio di caratterizzazione Strutturale