HomePVPower is an industrial research project presented by MIST ER and approved on the “Call for strategic industrial research projects aimed at innovation in the energy sector” (DGR 1097/2015) within the ROP ERDF EMILIA-ROMAGNA 2014/2020 Axis 1 and Axis 4 and in implementation of the Regional Energy Plan of Emilia Romagna.
- MIST E-R s.c.r.l. (Coordinator)
- IMAMOTER – C.N.R., Research Laboratory
- Democenter-Sipe Foundation, Center for Innovation
- E.S.T.E. LTD and AKSE s.r.l., Companies
Today more than half of the energy distributed by the European electricity grid is used by residential, commercial or public buildings. Photovoltaics has now become the lowest cost energy source in large parts of Europe and the world. In addition to the low cost, the great advantage of photovoltaics is to be in fact a zero-kilometer source of energy. The integration of photovoltaic generators in buildings, combined with the intelligent use of batteries, the exchange of energy between buildings and the use of the electricity grid as a reserve accumulator is the future of the electricity market. The project therefore fits in this context, proposing to develop and demonstrate an innovative way of self-consumption and management of photovoltaic electricity that does not require a bidirectional connection to the network, but nevertheless allows the use of the network as a backup provider seeamlessly. Three essential components will be developed for the home powerline that are not yet available on the market, the “Power Mixer” (mixer of the power generated with that eventually taken from the grid), the “Smart Powerline Controller” (powerline control and management system) and two new types of photovoltaic elements for home furnishings that, integrated with suitably adapted commercial products, will constitute a kit to transform a typical domestic powerline into an active powerline with a one-way connection to the external power grid. The main feature of the kit is the modularity and expandability of the number of active components that can be installed, both generators and accumulators, without having to modify the electrical system.
The project aims to create a “demo” kit of electrical passive and active equipment and components, based on the development of three prototypes of innovative products:
- “Power Mixer”: equipment for the management and regulation of electric power supply by the local powerline in the presence of local units for generating and / or accumulating electricity through a one-way low priority connection (backup supply) with the external electric network
- “Smart Powerline Controller”: monitoring and control system of the Power Mixer, of the loads and of the active components installed on the local powerline, according to the use optimization of the locally generated electricity and the withdrawal of electricity from the external network
- “Smart PV”: innovative photovoltaic elements of different shapes and sizes with architectural furnishing features based both on conventional silicon solar cells and on experimental thin film photovoltaic cells with different degrees of transparency deposited on ultralight metallic or polymeric substrates.
Lastly, the project includes a test operation of the kit through installation in a typical domestic powerline and measurement of system performance (efficiency, security, user manageability, impact on the electric bill and others) and its main components.