NANOMEMS-X is an industrial research project presented by IMAMOTER – C.N.R. and approved on the “Call for strategic industrial research projects aimed at the priority areas of the smart specialization strategy” (DGR 774/2015) within the ROP ERDF EMILIA-ROMAGNA 2014/2020 Axis 1 Action 1.2.2
- IMAMOTER – C.N.R. (Coordinator)
- MIST E-R s.c.r.l. – Industrial research laboratory
- REI, Reggio Emilia Innovation – Center for innovation
- ESTE s.r.l., ARC s.r.l. – Companies
For some years now, companies in the advanced mechanics, components and vehicle manufacturing sector are evolving towards mechatronics, ie the integration of mechanics with electronics, both of control and power, including sensors and actuators. Strain sensors made by MIST E-R and IMM with technology based on resonant silicon tuning fork have reached a level of maturity sufficient to explore possible applications. Such MEMS devices (Micro Electro-Mechanical Systems) are about 1000 times more sensitive than traditional sensors and potentially adaptable to strain measurements on a wide variety of materials. Likewise, the CTPE (Conductive Thermo-Plastic Elastomer) elastic sensors, always realized in CNR by IMAMOTER and other institutes, belong to a family of sensors so far applied mainly in the aeronautical and biomedical sectors, but are now mature to explore other applications By adopting these technologies, the project proposes to create highly sensitive sensors with a broader measuring range, allowing the creation of innovative applications, able to give a competitive advantage both to the manufacturers of components of the mechatronic sector and to the manufacturers of machines.
The project aims to develop and adapt innovative sensors to strategic mechatronic and hydraulic applications for regional companies. The companies of the territory involved in the project are the Energy Systems Technology Environment S.r.l. of Fearrara and ARC S.r.l. of Modena.
The following objectives are expected to be achieved:
- Creation of a Strain sensor prototype for measuring the stress applied to a mechanical structure
- Creation of a Strain sensor prototype for the measurement of hydraulic pressure on duct
- Creation of a CTPE sensor prototype for the measurement of hydraulic pressure on fixed and mobile flexible ducts
- Realization of a prototype formed by a set of tactile sensors based on conductive material (CTPE)